Friday, August 22, 2008

Back to School


Last night I went back to my alma mater (EMU) where I did my undergrad. degree. I was there for a training, but could not help but think about the years that I spent there on campus. I was reminded of lots of things...lots and lots of good times, but also my struggles with being overweight. I remember humiliating moments, like walking into class the first day and praying that I would fit okay into the little desks. Or taking notes on my lap in lecture halls, because the little desk thing would not fit around my stomach. I was also remembering how hard it was for me to get around. I detested walking up the big hill to the library or student union--not because fat people are "lazy" as most people think, but because it is literally painful to move your body sometimes when you are so big. I remember feeling awkward at parties/social gatherings, and trying so hard to use my sense of humor to hide my awkardness... It is so easy to focus on the negative-- But so many good memories too. Finding myself, falling in love, making lifelong friendships...what a trip down memory lane. I would not change a thing if I could go back in time.

No comments: