Monday, November 24, 2008

Airplane Seatbelts

I had a major moment of success this weekend while travelling to a music therapy conference in St. Louis. I am ashamed to admit that in the past I have had to ask for an "extendor" seatbelt, as the regular belts didn't fit me. This weekend the first thing I did when I got on the plane was check to make sure it fit--and it did!! With room to spare!!! And the little tray table came down and wasn't right on top of my stomach!!! However--I am still an advocate of having seating that accommodates all sizes on a plane. I understand first-hand how humiliating it is to worry if you're going to fit into one of those tiny seats or not. And some airlines actually charge for an extra seat if a customer is obese--that is just plain discriminatory.

A lot of people ask me if I "feel better"--and I tell them that I do. I feel much more comfortable, if that makes sense. I can fit in smaller places, cross my leg, fold my arms, etc. When I was bigger everything felt awkward and uncomfortable. This new found flexibility with my body has been one of my favorite parts of losing weight.

As for my eating during the conference...I did okay. I still watched what I ate, but I did enjoy myself out to dinner with friends. The most important thing is that I remained in control and am able to be right back on track now. It is a good feeling to have control over my eating rather than to let it control me!!

4 comments:

kim said...

That's great! I'm sorry we didn't catch up this weekend. Maybe tomorrow? I have off and I'm guessing you do to? I miss you so much and look forward to your blog and your progress. I AM SO HAPPY AND PROUD OF YOU (and Jer too!!)

KT said...

Thank you Kimmy--you have no idea how much your support means (and always has). Love you :)

Chris said...

Katie-
I saw Kim over the weekend and she told me about your site. It's really inspirational. I'm so happy for you. I saw a couple of pics of you and you look awesome. Keep up the good work.

Chris

KT said...

Thanks, Chris!!!