Saturday, December 6, 2008

Most Wonderful Time of the Year?

It's the "most wonderful time of the year"--and I really do believe that it is, but for one trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle it is also the most difficult time of the year!! Temptations are everywhere during this season. Holiday traditions are so closely linked to food it is often difficult to separate the two.....ie., candy canes, sugar cookies, hot chocolate, candy, egg nog, etc!

This season is no different in terms of the challenges that it will present for me in trying to stay on track. I think setting realistic goals during this time is crucial to not setting oneself up for failure. Planning ahead for special occasions/events can help a lot. Also, I intend to focus on those parts of this season that are not tied to eating:

-Holiday Music--My favorite playlist of the season is definitely Sarah McLachlan's "Wintersong". Many people have very strong emotional connections to some kind of holiday music at this time of year.
-Decorating--We are trying to make our home beautiful to look at this year--this also keeps us busy making crafts, etc. rather than eating
-Sight-Seeing--Tonight we went for a drive in the snow and looked at Christmas lights--I still have very fond memories of those moments I shared with my family growing up doing this--What a nice non-food tradition to continue with my own family :)
-Giving and Receiving--Focusing on finding special gifts for loved ones and celebrating together with them
-Spiritual Renewal--Finding the special meaning in this season--whatever it may be--is the most important part of this time of the year for me. The birth of a savior, the festival of lights, etc.

Any other non-eating related traditions you would suggest?

No comments: