Friday, January 30, 2009

What am I doing?

Almost on a daily basis people ask me about how I am losing weight. I don't have a specific "diet" plan that I follow (South Beach, Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, etc.), but I think I will share what I find works for me. I started by using Optifast--800 calories a day, divided into 5 "products" (protein shakes and protein bars). Really, this part of the weight loss program is super easy once you get past the hunger and the food withdrawls. When I am eating "real food", this is what I am finding works for me:

1. Eating frequently--every 2.5-3 hours--to keep my blood sugar levels steady.

2. I have begun recording every single thing that I eat, and it's complete nutritional information (Thanks, Melissa @ GLWW for great recording sheet). I track my serving size, calories, fat, carbs, sugar, protein, fiber and sodium for each thing that I eat. I have a few websites that help with this (http://www.my-weight-loss-advisor.com/calories-for-weight-loss.html, http://www.nutritiondata.com, http://www.my-weight-loss-advisor.com/protein-fat-and-carbohydrate.html), as well as an awesome electronic food scale, that allows me to enter a code for the food I am eating and gives me the complete nutritional information(http://www.amazon.com/Chefmate-Nutritional-Digital-Scale-Silver/dp/B000LWPZDO)on many foods.

3. I limit refined sugar and carbohydrates, and eat lots of lean protein and fiber.

4. I exercise, cardio and strength training, and stay as active as possible.

5. I attend weightloss support groups/weight management education classes weekly, where I am weighed, to help maintain accountability throughout the week.

6. I try to "nourish my spirit" with non-food things--time with family/friends, music, reading, writing, etc.

These are the things that help me to stay on track!!!

3 comments:

Chris said...

What GLWW's website? I'd like to have a recording sheet.

KT said...

I don't know if they have a recording sheet on there, but I can e-mail you one.
KT

Chris said...

That would be great.